Sunday, January 21, 2024

From Davey Jones' Locker: More Sounds, More Visions

When I finished the first of my David Bowie mixtapes (see September 2023), based on the alternative mixes from the Moonage Daydream film, I was generally happy with the results, but there was definitely room for improvement. It was, in many ways, a test run. And a test run includes oversights. Cleaning up the mess (closing and filing all tracks used and in the running for the mix) I realized that I hadn't used one track I really liked: the Moonage Daydream mix of "The Mysteries" (complete with a snatch of "Absolute Beginners"), which I felt was perfect as a sort of overture for a mix. This could mean only one thing: sequel!

So here is the second David Bowie mixtape, and my personal favorite. one justifiable criticism of the first mix was the length of the songs used, which didn't work for some readers. Some of this was down to the length of the original song pieces (some more snippets than songs), but I aligned behind that type of length on that mix. This new mix, Sounds And Visions, has, I feel, a bit more breathing room. It's definitely a more relaxed, and maybe more relaxing, listen. Songs generally run a little longer, some to full length or almost, and there's a more balanced feel to this one. Some song bits are still relatively short, on purpose, in a "hey, remember this cool song?" vibe. And, like the first mix, the emphasis was on hearing Bowie not quite like you and I know and love him, so I heavily leaned on alternative versions (like the acoustic version of "The Man Who Sold The World" he cut for his 50th birthday special), a live cut ("Sons Of The Silent Age, featuring Peter Frampton on co-lead vocals), a mash-up ("Rebel Never Gets Old", commissioned and released by the man himself), a demo ("Let's Dance"), deep cuts and remixes to give this a slightly different feel once again. Cover art borrowed from a gentleman named Ahmad Nusyirwan. 

So yeah, overall I'm quite proud of Sounds And Visions which came out like I wanted it to. Tell me what you think in the comments, will ya? 

Without further ado, here's Bowie and his Sounds And Visions.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds And Visions

    https://workupload.com/file/QDXHUxtndjg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying it - thanks for taking another swing at this!
    D in California

    ReplyDelete

Byrds Alt Albums, Part II: Some people call them the space cowboys

This album shouldn't exist. Not in a 'what the hell was he thinking' or in a sacred cow kind of way. This shouldn't exist - ...