Sunday, September 17, 2023

This Just In: More Sweet Magnolias


I called it, and my readership (well, one of them) agreed. The undisputed highlight of the second volume of All Pearls No Swine was "10 Days Over 23 Year" by the Sweet Magnolia Band. When I started to compile the APNS series more than three years ago (a Covid lockdown pastime...) there was literally nothing else from the band out there. But in the meantime, some folks have uploaded the rest of ths one-off onto You Tube, and so straight from the Tube right to One Buck Records comes the rest of the band's output, striking while the iron is warm-ish. 

I still don't have much more info on the group, other than they were from Little Rock, Arkansas (that's at least were their private press label is located). Oh, and what a label name: Lardbucket Records. That's fantastic! [Chandler voice:] Could it be any more Southern and redneck-y?! The album is pretty good, with quite a bit more country touches than I expected (Discogs has it as psychedelic rock; which I feel is a little exaggerated), and while "10 Days" sounded quite a bit like The Grateful Dead, throughout the album it's obvious how much the band was influenced by The Band. I also like that as their opening track they have their own theme, that's great. Overall, nothing here is quite as good as "10 Days" but for the country rock/Americana fans out there it's a nice little addition from the glory days of the genre. 



8 comments:

  1. There's some issues with workupload tonight, the album will come as soon as those are resolved.

    In the meantime: If it for some reason *isn't* Lardbucket records, what are your favorite record label names?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing it. I didn't get the Dead vibe you note in the write-up; I heard the Band, so I'm hoping the rest of the platter is a good'un.
    C in California (no relation to D, as I've no kin with that initial initial that I'm aware of)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here are the Magnolias.

    https://workupload.com/file/vVckthv3fVM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, looking forward listening to the Magnolias. BTW, which youtube converter do you use? As for favorite record label names, my focus is more on the label designs and Island Records over the years came up with some cool variants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an Asian site for years, forgot what it was called. It worked pretty well until it didn't. Either the site closed down or my computer/antivurus didn't want to display it. So I had to change and ended up with Notube. It's pretty reliable. You still get the occasional exe file to get rid of immediately and I would suggest a pop-up blocker because it automatically opens a bullshit site along itself. A decent antivirus program is obviously required, which kills most of these sites before they can display. Notube only has Farq's preferred bitrate, but what are you gonna do...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for NoTube, I'll certainly give it a try. Reason is that my previous favorite site (https://en.loader.to/4/) suddenly only converts to 128 kbps... This makes Farq's bitrate much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This site has proven pretty reliable in my experience and offers 320k conversions. I've never had any pop-ups or other hassles (though I do have an ad-blocker so your mileage may vary):

    https://bestmp3converter.com/

    ReplyDelete

Byrds Alt Albums, Part II: Some people call them the space cowboys

This album shouldn't exist. Not in a 'what the hell was he thinking' or in a sacred cow kind of way. This shouldn't exist - ...