Thursday, September 21, 2023

Freak out in a...no, hold on, don"t freak out, it's just good ol' Davey Jones!


I would have thought that his untimely death in 2016 would've cemented David Bowie as one of the all-time greats, but it seems that opinions may still vary quite a bit. Some still see him only as the red-haired make-up wearing glam rock king of the Ziggy years, others remember him with shudders from his beach-blond Let's Dance period. Both are of course surrounded by other Bowie avatars - The Thin White Duke, the Ashes to Ashes harlequin etc. What is undeniable is that Bowie was more than just Ziggy, more than the Top of the Pops star. Bowie did vaudeville, British invasion r'n'b, folk and folk rock, hard rock, glam rock, Philly soul, art rock, mainstream pop, hard rock again, dance pop, art rock again, jungle & drum'n'bass, retro rock and finally a jazz-inspired record. That's an impressive list of musical exploration, whichever way you slice it. Sure, Bowie had times where he was chasing after the bus, rather than driving it. But I would say it's still fair to have him at at least 50% trendsetter, 50% trendhopper. His interest in whatever music caught his fancy at any given time could see him zig where people wanted him to zag, apart from an unfortunate period in the 80s. And hey, even from that time there are things to salvage (in later posts here at One Buck Records).   

I haven't seen Moonage Daydream, the archival documentary directed by Brett Morgen, though I've picked up the movie in the local library, just waiting to be watched whenever I find the time. But the soundtrack to the project caught my eye, mainly because besides a bevy of live music there was a bunch of music presented in alternative and remixed form, some of it featuring gentle mash ups of several compositions. A lot of the more exotic tracks however, were essentially snippets, sometimes only a couple of seconds long. From there was born the idea of a single long track, a sort of megamix that would reunite the most interesting moments of this project. A lot of the music here is from the mid- to late 70s, so if you enjoy Bowie's "Berlin period", then you will probably find lots to like in it. I know I did. It was a lot of fun to revisit these songs with a twist. I hope the same will be true for you. And you might thus not even notice that the song that gave the film its title is missing from the line up! So, there's no freaking out here, but maybe something else...bliss out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah!







10 comments:

  1. A Moonage Daydream

    https://workupload.com/file/trWEvKd8WRr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I thoroughly enjoyed the film (which I saw at an IMAX theater), and now I'm looking forward to your . . . megamix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also went to see it in an IMAX theatre with my wife, daughter, and sister-in-law and we all thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Fantastic big-screen, surround sound experience! Thanks for the bliss-megamix, I'll put in the listening queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Crabdevil MrDave, let me know what you think whenever you get to have a listen.

    As for the rest of my silent readerhood (all 11 1/2 of them):

    Any opinions, anecdotes on Bowie?

    Bowie - yay or nay?

    Favorite albums, eras?

    Anything?

    C'mon, work with me here folks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave your mix a try, but the fragments are so short, it doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Even so, well done! My fav album is probably Scary Monsters, I bought Up The Hill Backwards as a 45 & played it a lot. Another fav is the Moroder version of Cat People, I had the 12 inch, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the megamix as well as the movie, and I even have an inkling as to why I've reacted with enthusiasm rather than perplexity.

    With respect to the film, I assumed ahead of time that I would be viewing an audiovisual collage, not a biopic-style narrative. I therefore found myself pleasantly surprised, even a bit relieved, during those occasional passages when the film DID, in fact, slip into a straightforward storytelling mode.

    Something similar happened for me with the megamix. If I had been anticipating a traditional sampler, with roughly equal time or emphasis given to each of the inclusions, then I might have ended up feeling frustrated or disappointed. Instead, I came in expecting little more than random kaleidoscopic recombinance, in other words, mixing and matching among atomized fragments. As a result, when certain of the selections seemed in one way or another to be receiving special attention (and here I'm thinking of "Space Oddity," "Word on a Wing," and "A New Career in a New Town"), then those selections in particular began to strike me as standing out quite dramatically against the background of more miscellaneous bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the feedback, folks.

    Art, what works for me might not work for you, for reasons that Crabdevil described perfectly above. There was no guiding principle of parity, and some song parts were really supposed to be like little reminders "yeah, that was a cool song - whoops, off to the next one..", essentially an invite to deepdive into Bowie's catalogue again. This was done partly by necessity (length of some of the bits), partly by design (when I shortened the songs, I mainly kept the sections that were really different from the original) or sometimes both (there was no good way to cut into "Space Oddity", so I left it intact). And Crabdevil, you're right about some songs receiving 'special treatment'. "Word on a Wing" was supposed to run long, as a sort of runout/comedown groove towards the end of the mix, and because it is a magnificent song of course, one of the more underrated in his work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OBG, I agree with your assessment of Bowie: sometimes chasing the bus, sometimes driving it. Does anyone else out there like his 1984 album "Tonight"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's say that Tonight is where he really gets lazy, though it has some underrated stuff like "Tumble & Twirl" and "Dancing with the Big Boys". Hell, I even like his version of "I Keep Forgettin'".

      But I think Tonight's follow-up, Never Let Me Down, gets an unfair rap as being total crap, so in the near future I'll post an alternative version of that album that hopefully helps restore its reputation somewhat...

      Delete
    2. I will look forward to that! I like his version of "I Keep Forgettin'" a lot. I guess Bowie was short on song ideas circa 84, so Iggy got some songwriting royalties.

      Delete

Byrds Alt Albums, Part II: Some people call them the space cowboys

This album shouldn't exist. Not in a 'what the hell was he thinking' or in a sacred cow kind of way. This shouldn't exist - ...