Wednesday, May 1, 2024

It's Burritos week here at OBG's! Chapter one: Come into the gilded palace of sin...

Where do you go when you already start at the top of the mountain? This is a luxury problem to have, for sure, considering how many bands and artist never ever climb that mountain. But it is a problem nonetheless. What do you do, if your best work is already done right after that first album? Try to top it somehow? Have more modest additions? The accompanying question for me is of course: Is there a point to a project involving a band that by general consensus only got worse during its tumultous tenure. (And that is, if we count all approximately 1.254 iterations of the group as coming from the same bloodline. The story of The Flying Burrito Bros. is a story of devolution, rather than evolution, and a story of diminishing returns. It's a story worth telling anyway, I believe, and will do my best to do so...

So, The Flying Burrito Brothers, a name that is immediately and intimately associated with Gram Parsons and - to a lesser degree - Chris Hillman, but it's also a name that then passed through the hands of dozens and dozens of country rock journeymen, sometimes with the participation of founding member "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow, sometimes without a single original Burrito. But hold! Technically, the guys we think of as The Flying Burrito Brothers - Parsons, Hillman, Kleinow and bass man Chris Ethridge weren't the original Burritos, either. They recovered the name from a loose group of musicians, half ex-members of The Remains, half ex-members of Parsons' old group The International Submarine Band. who also let dozens of musician sit in with them, when they moved back east. Maybe the name was supposed to be passed along from one group of relatively down on their luck country rockers to others to try and make something out of it. 

After all, The Gilded Palace Of Sin is an all-time classic, an album that could conceivably be included on 'greatest albums of all time'-lists, yet it barely charted and half of the copies it sold seems to have gone straight into the hands of other musicians. Technically, only three of the Burritos albums even charted, none higher than a pretty dysmal 138, and the band never had a single charts single until a live version of "White Line Fever" became a fluke charts entry in 1979, a full decade after the Burritos we all remember started.

Is there anything interesting that I can add when talking about The Gilded Palace Of Sin? Probably not. It's a fantastic record, top to bottom, one of the most consistent records to come out of the subgenre. Some folks don't like the talking-blues-style closing number "Hippie Boy", but I think it's just fine. "Hot Burrito #1" and "Hot Burrito #2" admittedly have terrible names, akin to an artist titling a piece "Untitled No. 67", but they are fantastic, and "#1", better remembered as "I'm Your Toy" has become an oft covered genre classic. The anti-draft anthem "My Uncle" and "Wheels", the unofficial thme song for the always-on-the-road Burritos have equally reached genre classic status. "Sin City" is every bit the genre classic that Nick Hornsby's protagonist Rob describes it as in High Fidelity. I mean, really, there are no weak spots. The double covers of "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" and "Dark End of The Street" could look uninspired, but really were a matter of the heart for Parsons. 

So, we'll start on the top of the mountain and then slowly come down. But we'll also reclimb some modest peaks, and even in the valleys there are worthwhile sights and sounds. Well, sounds, mostly. 

So I'll hope you travel along with me all the way through Burrito week here at One Buck Records. Let's get going. First stop: The Gilded Palace Of Sin




9 comments:

  1. Sin? Did someone say sin?

    https://workupload.com/file/dx6Hgxnayn6

    ReplyDelete
  2. How bad is it that this GP fan -- In My Hour Of Darkness and Love Hurts are two of my favorite songs -- has never gotten around to diving into the Burritos? Thanks for making a trail for me to follow, OBG!
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love Hot Burrito #1 (or was it #2) Gram's emotional singing made it the perfect break up song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for deciding to highlight the Burritos. I'm familiar enough with several of their recordings, emphatically including this album, but I'm still interested in following along (and checking out your own comments and observations). The only thing is, given that I do know of Mr. Kleinow's work in multiple contexts, and given that I even MET the guy at one point, I'm really, really sure it's "Sneaky," rather than something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, my bad, it is indeed "Sneaky" Pete, I don't know enough about the man's personal hygiene, but he probably isn't very stinky...I mean, I hope...

      Delete
    2. "Stinky Pete" was a character in one of the Toy Story movies. Maybe the name snuck into your subconscious thataway.

      Delete
    3. Bulls-Eye! And I don't mean Woody's horse! That's exactly what happened and poor Pete Kleinow got slandered...

      Delete
  5. 'Some folks don't like the talking-blues-style closing number "Hippie Boy"' and you can count me as one of them! It doesn't wreck the album, but it sure did get me out of my chair to lift the tonearm more than once.
    I'm a big fan of this, and the third FBB album. I've collected a few compilations over the years, and listened to the revived FBBs, and I agree with you that it has been a story of devolution and diminishing returns.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me as another one who hasn't given the FBB the attention I should -- I've had this album for decades but I don't think I've ever listened to the whole thing front to back. There's a quirky indy comedy called "Grand Theft Parsons" currently available on Freevee that may be of interest to some of you out there (not great but fairly amusing).

    ReplyDelete

Show me your hooters!...(and I'll show you mine...)

Two or three years ago I was reading an article on Eighties post-punk/New Wave, that in its intro namedropped The Hooters for reasons I don&...