Thursday, September 24, 2026

'Kay, If You Won't, I Will: Happy Birthday, One Buck Records!

Yes, it is that time of year again. Yesterday was the third anniversary of this blog. I didn't expect anyone to know that, so I'll sing my own 'Happy Birthday' to me and my blog. Ah, three years, that's already longer than some bigger and better different blogs have lasted, and man, I don't know if it's the whole getting older thing, but those years have just flown by. I have the theory that three years is about the point in time, where a certain fatigue creeps in, but I'm happy to report that my 'getting a little bored' period was, like, two weeks this summer. If that is all of the mid-life crisis that the blog business can offer for right now, I think we're in good shape. I am on pace to have slighly less offerings for 2026 than the two preceding years, but some slowing down is to be expected. 

Speaking of expectations, so what can you guys expect from the next year here at One Buck Records? Well, more of the same, and some of, uh, the different. I gotta workshop that one. So, flagship series All Pearls No Swine and Bluegrass Chartbusters will continue, and - as I have mentioned before - there are a number of rejiggered soundtracks awaiting release. I will continue to dig up lost treasures from the 70s, Americana or otherwise, and generally speaking albums or artists that deserve to be heard more or relistened to again. Alternate albums will come out when inspiration, time and the wish to work on that all came together at the right time, although some stuff is in the pipeline (any Gillian Welch fans out there?). 

I'm also thinking of adding some new stuff, like finally unveiling the reason of the blog's name and start posting stuff about the real One Buck Records. I liked the flashback on Poco I did this spring, running through their career chronologically, so I'm thinking of doing the same with Gene Clark. Which means some reposting of the existing alts I did, but also tons of new stuff. When I say, we'll deep dive, we'll fuckin' deep dive! There's an Australian country rock special that I wanted to do for, literally, years, so maybe this year is the good year for it. Plus, you know, whatever else catches my attention at any time. Oh, squirrel!

I'm not only singing my own birthday songs, I am also - same as it ever as - the one bearing gifts. Call it three out of three. Three alt albums from three different years of One Buck Records activity. Already got those? Good for you! New music coming soon, same as it ever was. Missed those? Dig in! You're welcome, same as it ever was. 

So, today's three out of three are:

Manassas' Do You Remember The Americans?, the re-imagined second album by that short-lived outfit. One of my first alt albums, and one that I think still holds up really well. It also beats the tar out of Down The Road, but that wasn't really a super-hard task. More info is of course right here.

My spin on Dennis Wilson's never-issued sophomore album Bambu, more coherent than any official archival release. Just a grand ol' time with Denny, the last, unfortunately, before things got really dark really fast. As usual, more info right here. 

And the totally re-mixed/re-imagined soundtrack album for Sinners. I listened to that a couple of days ago, and I was like 'damn, boy, you did good on that one'. I had a ton to say about the film and the album, so if you got some time to waste, you can read all that stuff over here. 


And that's it, folks. regular programming will take up in short order, same as it ever was. If you are along for year four, gimme a 'hell, yeah'! 

What's that? I don't think I heard ya properly...


3 comments:

'Kay, If You Won't, I Will: Happy Birthday, One Buck Records!

Yes, it is that time of year again. Yesterday was the third anniversary of this blog. I didn't expect anyone to know that, so I'll s...