Saturday, September 5, 2026

(Almost A) One Album Wonder: Summer's Almost Gone, As Blissfully Told By Al Manfredi

Al Manfredi is one of those glorious also-ran's and never-was's of the music industry, writing and recoring usic almost all of his life, yet never coming close to a career in music or hell, even to get his work published correctly. I initially stumbled onto Al Manfredi and the song "Blue Gold" while hunting little-known songs of the 1970s for the All Pearls, No Swine series, for which "Blue Gold" with its main stream soft rock sheen seemed almost too soft and fuzzy. Still, the song showed up on volume 14 of the series, though it still took me a bit of time to check out more of Al Manfredi. Well, what little more there is. As indicated by the title, Manfredi never managed to even issue a full-length album, the closest he came was to gather a couple of his strongest compositions and privately finance and press a hundred copies of a self-titled six-song EP, not necessarily to sell, but to send to record company people and DJs as a marketing tool. This included the fabulous "Of The Sea" as its opening track, "I Don't Live Today", "Five, Six", the aforementioned "Blue Gold" as side two opener, "Foggy Night" and "Empty Of Your Possession"

Hailing from San Clemente, Manfredi had, as a teenager, started garage band The Nuts & Bolts, shortly after renamed The Lost & Found (who, incidentally are not the same as a Houston-based garage rock band of the same name), who then recorded a one-off single during a one-year stay in Phoenix in late 1966 and early 1967. Back in San Clemente, The Lost & Found started to get...lost. Manfredi's closest band mate Mike Ingram was found hanged under suspicious circumstances, aged 17. Manfredi took a couple of months-long sabbatical in New York to chnage his ideas, then upon returning to California started a new band with old Lost & Found drummer Mike Ryer, only to have Ryer succumb to cancer at only 19 years old. Manfredi quit the band scene altogether and began running the family's music store in Garden Grove, future birthplace of The Offspring. 

But Manfredi kept writing and recording, until he had that EP, or mini-album, ready in 1973. Manfredi's mini-album has the same feel as Brian Wilson's melancholic assertions that summer and its fun, fun, fun can't last forever. It didn't have a real album cover, just a blank white sleeve with a tiny sticker with name and a picture of the artist. The archival release from 2019 added a title, Blue Gold, and a wonderful image of Manfredi with his young son in his arms, standing by the ocean. It was never planned as an album cover shot, but is just wonderful and captures the feeling of the recording incredibly well. 

To try to fill up the original six-track line-up to a full album-length endeavor I used some other songs and demos he recorded (probably, obviously there are no real recording dates or such listed) around the same time, but as the demos especially were kind of rambling, I edited both "Never With You" and "Let It Alone" for better flow and listenability, and better fit amongst its more polished brethren. Now, Blue Gold is still pretty short for an album, clocking in at nine tracks and a little more than thirty minutes, more or less barely getting to the industry standard of fifteen minutes of music per side. But, more importantly, it feels like a real album now. Then again, especially in country music (and in pop music, if you were the Beach Boys) groups and artists would still regularly bring in albums at less than 30 minutes. 

Manfredi's dreams of making it in the music business might have flown away on the ocen breeze, but the man always stuck with music, writing and occasionally homerecording, while the failure to make it as a music man unfortunately might have contributed to Manfredi's uneasy relationship with alcohol, which in turn probably contributed to his relatively early death in 1995. Al's son Alex Manfredi  - the very kid on the cover - grew up to be hip hop producer Exile. 

Blue Gold has touches of AOR (as on "Blue Gold"), as well as slight touches of psychedelia. Acoustic guitars dominate the recording. It's a wonderful, sunburned, blissed-out little record, sounding as unfinished as Manfredi's music career turned out to be, but also fresh and engaging. There might not have been much of Al Manfredi's music that made it out of his mind or his tape recorders, but what little did come out, is worth of rediscovery. So start (re)discovering now...



9 comments:

  1. Aural Gold, Blue And Otherwise

    https://workupload.com/file/6wTag9k84ez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a tricky one: Were you in a band as a teenager or young adult? If so, what happened to them/you?

    If not, any anecdote about a lovcal garage rock/teenage misfit band will do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems cool--thanks. My "musical career" was varied and as underwhelming as I am. Summer of my sophomore year I played in a pickup band at UT's summer orientation program with another guitarist and a tuba player--we had 3 songs or so and took the occasional request. No idea what happened to the lead guitarist/vocalist but the tuba player became a semi-renowned theater critic. Later I was briefly (six months or so) in a garage/punk/loud band. They'd been around for a few years before me and lasted a few more years after--you can see how integral I was--and I've no idea what became of them. Not a band, but during my stint in DC right after graduation I played on the street in Georgetown for tips a few times until the folx in the Senate office where I worked found out and were not at all amused. My boss lost in November 1980 and and in January I landed in Madrid where somehow I imagined it was romantic to play my guitar in the metro for a living. It was cold. I was cold. I lasted about 4 months. That summer back in South Louisiana I played mouthharp on a half-dozen or so songs behind a way too cool for me (or, frankly, BRLA) lesbian singer-songwriter who thought I was funny or something. A few years later I played a one-off with the amazing Human Rayz in Tiger Town. The high point, however, belongs to my 1972 Thinline Tele (purchased in 1979 from Ray Henning's Heart of Texas Music) which in 1987 was played on stage at First Avenue in Minneapolis first by Jon Dee Graham of the True Believers & then David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas of Los Lobos, all of whom wanted to buy it; I was an idiot and kept it. The end.

    I became a political sociologist who primarily studies revolution, hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the novella; first time I ever thought this through...

      Delete
    2. Eric, I enjoy your little strolls down memory lane.

      I wish more folks would write little novellas here in the comments (or, you know, just comments) to keep us entertained...

      Delete
    3. Me too, especially in such an entertaining blog as yours. And thank you for your kindness and anyone else who suffers through my scribbles, er typing.

      Delete
  4. Well, allow me....
    Eric, scribe away, I for one like reading music comments even if it has nothing to do with music I'm interested in, because like both you and OBG, I'm a music geek. And all the music you described sounds like it's represented in my collection (except the 2g+1tuba ensemble, but that does sound intriguing!).
    And OBG, I must admit that much of what you post escapes my musical interest (for instance, I have a substantial collection of bluebeat/rocksteady/ska/early reggae, so the slicked-up reggae-lite offerings of recent I did dutifully listen to, but cared not for), but I read all you posts even if the headline tells me it'll be about an artist/genre that doesn't float my boat. Why? See the last sentence of my first paragraph. But, specifically, I love reading passionate arguments for an artist/genre, because I love being surprised and hopeful that maybe this time I'll be introduced to something I don't already know, or re-introduced to something I'd previously dismissed. I checked my list, and I didn't keep the Manfredi song you posted on one of your previous APNS collections, but I'll be danged if I don't give this collection a spin, based on your write-up.
    So, scribe away, gents. It is appreciated.
    C in California (never a musician but knows how to play the CD player and turntable)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Eric, I forgot a-to ask about the two guitar-one tuba band. What the hell ere you guys playing? Polkas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. we took a coupla-three old songs--"All My Loving," "Teenager in Love," and something else I am blanking on--and rewrote the lyrics--"close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow I'll miss you, remember the rent cause it's due, and then while I'm away I'll write home everyday, and send all my laundry to you." The tuba served as bass/percussion and at some point would take an extended solo. We also did "London Homesick Blues" (straight up; we were in Austin, after all) a few times and at least once "Up Against The Wall, Red Neck Mother." I did "The Letter" once or twice and seem to remember an ill-fated attempt at "Ooh Poo Pah Doo" because I thought I knew the lyrics but did not. Oh, the third one we had our way with was "Season of the Witch," which became a staple of my "busking" efforts, especially since you could weave it, "For What It's Worth" and "Bayou Country" (Danny Cohen/Casey Kelly) together pretty seamlessly....2-3 chords was/is my limit on schnitzengruben...Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete

These Pearls Have Been A Long Time Comin' (But They Ain't A Long Time Gone)

Well, this has been a long time coming. And no even longer due to some unexpected recent events. First off, OK, OK, I admit it, I neglected ...