Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Here Come More Chartbusters, But Not The Ones You Expected...

 


The Chartbusters are back, but not the ones you're used to. Well, it is summer after all, so what sounds like summer, and also kind of sounds like something the One Buck Records would throw onto an unsuspecting public: Why, it's the Reggae Chartbusters, of course! Instead of some sweet Bluegrass, we're going to listen to some sweet Reggae, covering the last sixty years or so of popular music. 

Most of this series is based on the Vintage Reggae Café series from cheapo Argentine 'specialist' label Music Brokers that specialises in 'hits but played as reggae/jazz/easy listening/etc.' type compilations, with that Vintage Reggae Café series nonetheless reaching an impressive sixteen volumes. Now, what exactly is vintage about it is another question, one better not to ask. The other, also not great to ask: Who are all these people? Other than Pinky Dread I have never heard of any of the Vintage Reggae Café roster. They are essentially like the first years of CMH's Pickin On... bluegrass series, pure studio projects with a clear purpose, rather than real, organic bands finding purpose in their assigned cover albums, as was increasingly the case in that series, once Iron Horse got the ball rolling in that direction. The purpose is obviously 100% mercenary, but hey, who's to say you can't have fun with this.

Speaking of mercenary motives...

Fun in limited doses that is. There are a ton of their covers that don't work particularly well, so this series will not be like its sibling, the Bluegrass Chartbusters, which mushroomed into an XXL endeavor. This will be four volumes and not one more. One reason for that is also, that in these songs with their relatively samey rhythms, it's hard to find much particular artistry. I would argue that the Bluegrass Chartbusters often found real interesting things to do with the covers they did, whereas the Reggae Chartbusters are admittedly closer to pure novelty, albeit entertainingly so. These hand-picked covers are a ton of fun, whether it's United Rhythms Of Brazil and Shirley Adamson's covering "Walk Of Life", Reggister's covering "Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun" or Luca Giacco covering "Hotel California". 

To not make this an entirely Vintage Reggae Café affair, and for sentimental reasons, I added some other stuff. It would be cooler to say I first heard reggae by, say, Bob Marley or Peter Tosh or The Clash, but being a kid growing up with 80s mainstream radio the first reggae I heard was most likely including UB 40. (Other reggae hits I remember from when I was young are Musical Youth's "Pass The Koutchie Dutchie"  and Sophia George's "Girlie Girlie"). So UB 40 will grace these, helped out by Chrissie Hynde for their first appearannce here with "I Got You Babe". And I also included NYC's finest in terms of reggae covers, the Easy Star All-Stars, checking in with covers of Radiohead's "No Surprises" and the Beatles' "With A Little Help From My Friends". 

You know the M.O. already from the Bluegrass Chartbusters: 20 tracks, a cool flow, tons of fun to be had. So, get these and have fun...



 

2 comments:

  1. Reggae Chartbusters! Jah, man!

    https://workupload.com/file/ms9hKCyQgwH

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's your favorite non-reggae cover of a reggae song?

    ReplyDelete

Here Come More Chartbusters, But Not The Ones You Expected...

  The Chartbusters are back, but not the ones you're used to. Well, it is summer after all, so what sounds like summer, and also kind of...