Saturday, July 4, 2026

Gene + A Bunch Of Djangos = A Very Good Time

It's been an unconsciously long time that I posted something from Gene Clark, and this will not stand. So I'll post my favorite bootleg of Geno, backed by the Django Band, a short-lived troupe that came out of Gene's long-running 'Tribute To The Byrds' road band. As a matter of fact, outside of this bootleg I have never heard of the band being called The Django Band, but I'll trust the taper on them being dubbed as such. Whatever their name, they were a sympathetic backing band for Geno, led by Michael Curtis of the short-lived Curtis Brothers Band that I have previously featured here, and guitar slinger Billy Darnell who by this time was a four-year veteran of Clark's backing band duty. The line-up is completed by Greg Thomas on drums, and was essentially a mash-up of two different, equally dubious Byrds tribute bands, with Curtis comng over from Michael Clarke's Tribute To The Byrds (and then, his fake Byrds). 

So he has a very fine backing band which does make a difference. While solo acoustic Gene, and sometimes band-backed Gene, would slow down allsongs to dirge-like tempo, here The Django Band prevents that from happening and Gene, who seems to be in especially good humour - alcohol-related or not - hs a blast with these guys, who bring the groove. Like, literally, during a section of "Mr. Tambourine Man", where the classic melody and rhythm are upended by a short groove riffing part. They give a bit of a Calypso feel to "She Darked The Sun" and play "Set You Free This Time" as f it were an old soul song. Several of Gene's old warhorse sound a bit different than thier usual presentation, which obviously freshens them up a bit.

The other thing I love about this boot is the set list, covering a ton of classics - including an abundance of Byrds songs that betray the group's origins as a Byrds tribute band -  but also songs that at this time were rarely playd, "Backstage Pass" and "She Darked The Sun" for example. There is a rare live showing of "Shades Of Blue" that he only ever recorded as a demo. Actually the first set opens with a very nice surprise. As he often would, Clark opens with a short acoustic segment, but here "Here Without You" and "For A Spanish Guitar" are augmented by a mandolin, played by Curtis. And Curtis gets a solo lead vocal showcase in that first set to sing "Southern Cross", a track familiar for longstanding One Buck Heads from that aforementioned Curtis Brothers comp. 

The Django Band also gets busy during the intermission between Gene's two sets, playing a couple of Curtis tunes (including the classic, Fleetwood-Mac covered "Blue Letter") and a cover of "Iko Iko"sung by Billy Darnell, while Gene is away, presumably at the bar, before he joins them for another run through classic Byrds and solo tunes, including a reworked version of "Gypsy Rider" that Curtis would then later cover on a solo album. 

The sound of the boot is pretty good, vocals are slightly distant, but nothing too distracting. I did a bit of work to improve the presentation, mainly cutting out dead space, though I also rearranged the setlist a little. On the original boot, the Django Band solo set was attached to the end of the first set and disc, which I felt made little sense. So the intermission is now opening the second disc. And I moved "Eight Miles High" from its third-from-last place to the closing number, as the 14 minute+ jam isn't all that good, and I tend to like these longform songs as run-out grooves rather than being stuck with them in the middle of a program.

So, enjoy this very lovely Gene Clark program, one of his last moments of glory, and a wondeerful way of relistening to the many classics the man wrote.  



11 comments:

  1. Gene & The Djangos

    https://workupload.com/file/KAEzNRmS3jD

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes a bootleg interesting or great for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is cool--thanks! The short answer is something different--lyrics, tunes, band line-up, odd guest or three. Time and place can matter too--e.g., the 'mats in Minneapolis..

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this OBG. I don't really do bootlegs, but for Gene I'll make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Portland had a record store back then named Django's. Maybe Gene had run across it when he got to town, and when he had to come up with a band name, that's what popped into his head. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great bit of background info and sounds more than plausible. Print the legend, I say!

      Delete
  5. Thanks. Great listen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gene wrote some wonderful songs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you see him live ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no. He was dead long before I found his music, and with his fear of flying I wouldn't have been able to see him either way, being based in Europe and all...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the quick reply.

      Delete

Them Bluegrass Bands and Folks Would Like Your Attention Once More, Please...

Aaaand welcome everybody to Chartbusters week over here at One Buck Records which of course must kick off When last we checked in with with ...