Friday, November 10, 2023

All Pearls No Swine Vol. 5: Long time no see, old pal! How're you doin'?!

Been a while that I posted one of those. We're back to the Seventies once more. By now you know the drill. Some semi-famous folks, on this volume one famous person, and a bunch of rather unknown folks from the self-publishing side of things. The famous person is David Bowie, obviously, whose "Shadow Man", a Ziggy Stardust outtake, is one of the man's finest moments, a splendid doppelgänger ballad unfairly relegated to the dustbin. You might also know Native American guitar player Jesse Ed Davis (also a part-time producer, for One Buck Favorite Gene Clark), soft rock/country-rock combo the Pousette-Dart Band, or guitar hero Harvey Mandel, a Canned Heat alumni. And maybe Bonnie Koloc, a folkie from Iowa who had a modest but enduring career. As for the one-off and self-published artists, there's a colorful mix of folks, again mostly from the country rock, folk and singer-songwriter ranks. 

Jack Veronesi was a songwriter from Boston, whose beautiful "Northeastern Wind" is a standout track here. It's also a real one-off. Most private pressing folks here made at least (and in most cases only) one album, Veronesi seemingly just published a single, where this song was the b-side. Bearded country folk weirdo Ken Saul had at least two LPs on his own Seashell label, complete with self-drawn covers and LP back cover text written on a typewriter. His "Lord Of The Skies" is, for me, one of the highlights of the set, directly followed by other bearded country folk weirdo Huckle, from  - you guessed it - Ontario, established in previous volumes as Canada's inofficial home of country folk weirdos. Diggory Venn was a British group built around the talents of brothers Martin and Robin Peirson. Two Friends were what the title says, friends Bucky Wiener and Chip Carpenter with some mellow Californian soft rock that recalls America, especially during it's "lala-lala" chorus. Young Jim Keltner on the drums! Wheatstone Bridge were a heavy rock band from, of all places, Nashville. Ward 6 was a Canadian trio from - you guessed it - Ontario, who mainly covered material by others, but did it pretty well.  

So, here we are again. Almost seventy minutes of mellow-ish, beautiful music from the best decade in music, here at One Buck Records where the sweet sounds of the seventies just keep on truckin'...



12 comments:

  1. APNS 5

    https://workupload.com/file/u6C6dwjTAEA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New link, APNS 5 with fixed track (see below)

      https://workupload.com/file/bt7vRfrr5Er

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to it. The Bowie song is one I don't have, and liked that era, so here's hoping it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one, listening to it now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OBG, I'm just getting to this, and don't know when I'll get to Lucinda and your posts since this one. Anyway, this one has had the most songs on it that I really like, including one (Borderline's Please Help Me Forget) I already had; I queried your blog to see if I got it here, but it didn't come up, so I'm mystified as to where I got it. At any rate, I'm requesting a stand-alone post of Diggory Venn's number, as the one included here has a skip in it at about 2:26. If your source material has that skip, then....never mind, because a repost will duplicate the issue. But, if you have a clean copy of it, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Others I especially dug on this comp: Huckle, J E Davis, Bonnie Koloc, and Jack Veronesi, whose song didn't grab me the first time but I gave it another go after rereading your praise for it here and agreed, yes, it's a good'un.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The article title holds true: Long time, no see, old pal!

      You probably got Borderline from Farq's FMF Island, he featured these guys, last year I believe.

      The Diggory Venn song has that skip in the source, so there's nothing I can do about it. Can check for a cleaner source, but considering how obscure it is, I'm not sure I'm gonna find something better...

      Glad to see one of my most faithful APNS fans liked this volume. Hopefully you're also into 80s music...(coughVOLUMESIXcough)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I've downloaded the 80s volume, along with everything else you've posted since APNS 5. Having time to catch up....that's another matter. There's an unskipping version of One Room Up on Vimeo, but I lack the ability to download it/convert it to MP3. The version on YouTube (paired with another song) has the skip, so I thought it might be hard to find a clean version. If I ever get back into editing, I'll try to make it right....
    Undoubtedly I got Borderline from Father Farqer, as I was led to your site from his, when you announced you were opening up shop.
    C in California
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently my clone wanted to sign off on the preceding comment, too.
    C in....well, you know

    ReplyDelete
  7. C in Cali,

    I think I got it. Tried to get rid of the skip with Audacity and I think I succeeded, that section runs smoothly now. Just download the entire thing again (new link in first post) with the new and improved "One Room Up".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will do. I was gonna try to fix it -- and it seemed fixable -- when I got back into editting in the mythical future (i.e., when I had time once I wasn't tied down with work and kids), but I'm a good American who wants immediate gratification so I will happily grab your edit!
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice. Many thanks. I like Bonnie Koloc a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Byrds Alt Albums, Part II: Some people call them the space cowboys

This album shouldn't exist. Not in a 'what the hell was he thinking' or in a sacred cow kind of way. This shouldn't exist - ...